Skip to main content

Event3 Hox Zodiac


For the third event, I decided to attend "Hox Zodiac", hosted by Victoria Vesna and in collaboration with Siddharth Ramakrishnan. This collaboration is mainly presenting the interest of the correlation between the order of How genes on a chromosomes and the order of gene development in the embryo (Vesna) , stated in the introduction video. Professor Vesna created an incredible idea of using the Chinese Zodiac, to symbolize the relationship of the two cultures as we learned in unit one. 




When I walked into the event, I was given a booklet of my animal sign. It was a rabbit, because I was born in 1999. Each animal represents each birth year, in a cycle of 12 animals including rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. It is calculated according to the Chinese lunar calendar (TraveChinaGuide). With all the encouragements about this topic, it actually creates an art work. As you can see in the picture attached, each animal has a distinct sign for them from combining the meanings and facts for each animal sign. For Rabbit, we are the Yin of the Yang, having "wood" as an element, the color green represents us, favorable in Spring season, dominating in East direction, diseases as a wind, tastes of sour, planet Jupiter, large intestine for organ and having green dragon as our heavenly creature(Ramakrishana&Vesna). The picture is a combination of the thing listed, it might not seems as obvious, but you can see that there are distinctively related. These are the most interesting part for this event topic. It reflect well for human curiosity, we seems to wonder what complements us underneath our soul. For me this is considered as another form of art, as it is the conscious use of skill and creative imaginations. With out imagining the relatable source of information we have about each animal sign, we would not be able to comprehend the scientific meaning in it. 
Art work created relating to the animal sign
A scientific facts behind rabbits are that they are lab rats for drugs, chemical, and medical devices. Due to rabbit's high reproduction rate, they are also being use in a study for a likelihood of a product harming a pregnant female or develop fetuses. This restates the identification and exploration for ourselves and the diverse animal around us (Ramakrishana&Vesna)
an animation of the embryo and the animal sign

Lastly, this exhibition do have a VTR room at inside, it illustrate a movement shit between signs, showing the connection for each animal sign with the embryo as the focal. This affirms that we can create art work beyond imagination, and putting it closer to reality for people to behold such animations. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this event. I would truly recommend my classmates to visit, since it provides you with fascinating informations you would not normally in everyday life. Although, it is a kind of a reflection upon oneself through the ability of connecting mainly art and science, along with just a little help from technology to clear the illustration in the end. 




Sources:

"Chinese Zodiac." Shanghai Disneyland Park, Disney Resort, China. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 June 2018.

Vesna, Victoria, and Siddharth Ramakrishnan. “Games of Chance: Explorations into Our Animal Selves.” N.p., 2015. Web. June 9 2018. <http://Hoxzodiac.com, hoxzodiac.com/home/HoxBook_SR_VV_2015_FINAL_942015.pdf/>.



Vesna, Victoria, and Siddharth Ramakrishnan. "HOX ZODIAC" N.p., n.d. Video. June 9 2018. <http://hoxzodiac.com/about.html/>
 Vesna, Victoria, and Siddharth Ramakrishnan. "METAMORPHOSIS OF THE HUMAN ANIMAL: HOX ZODIAC" N.p., 2010. Web. June 9 2018. <http://hoxzodiac.com/home/Consc_HOX_Victoria_Vesna.pdf/>



"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event 2 The Museum of Jurassic Technology

ME awkwardly taking selfie with the Museum's sign  On May 12th, I decided to go to the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Los Angeles for my second event. I wanted to go to this one in particular because I have heard this place from TA Kit. My experience was insightful and totally different than my first one. However, I could not collect any photographies because visitors were asked to turnoff their phone while visiting. The experience was much more interesting, but at the same time tempting. The museum was set up was very dark, which made it really hard to see. The walk way was very narrow in a square maze-like feature. Some of the stuff that was shown seems very gothic, yet it was put in the dark with only a flash of light shining. A sneak peak of what it looks like at the entrance I have listed two things that amazed me most during my visit, and that they are somewhat applicable regarding to out class materials: 1. The Micromosiacs of Henry Dalton This piece of art ...

Week1 Two Culture

As an undeclared major student at UCLA. I personally think that art and science compliment each other in terms of the benefits you can seek out of its  knowledges  from both sides. Currently, I'm exploring my options towards my major. For the past two quarters,    I have classes on both North and South campus. The Art and Social Sciences classes are on North campus, while mathematics and sciences classes are on South Campus.  The division between North and South campus's majors separates one another as interpreted in terms of "Two Cultures".  I’d like to begin with my agreement with CP Snow belief that the education system is culpable for the division between art and science. My life has been affected by this separation, ever since I recall being in school. Generally, important subject’s stereotype in school demand a big amount of disciplinary in studying, and it is to be seen as a crucial part for a success career after college. Therefore, I haven’t re...

Week6 BioTech+Art

I would say that this week's topic is a very thought provoking concept among any other that we have covered so far. It is somehow controversial with the impression that biology and art emerge with each other to create an ethical beliefs disturbance, as well as advancing itself in both fields With the fusion of art and biology, animals are going through their gene altercations. A very surprising fact, I did not come to a realization of how and when does rats became a testing subject for human in the medical studies. It is what we called Transgenic rats or "Test" rats (the rats that are being inserted with foreign DNA into their genome). The altercation of natural species brings up the serious ethical question, and the sophistication generates the controversy in today's society. Also, it does not allow for natural selection because artists and scientists urge to be knowledgable about this subject that potentially lead to a world dilemma. Furthermore, Professor Ve...